PV as an investment [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Sun Sep 23 07:43:29 PDT 2001

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. wrote:
> Brother and sister Wrenches,
> As promised, I have gathered all of the posts on the issue of payback
> for
> solar. There's some pretty good stuff here, from many of you over the
> last
> few weeks.
> I'll send it as a Word attachment to any Wrench who requests it
> off-list.
> There are two forms; please ask for either or both. "Edited" is the
> four-page to-the-point version I will hand out tomorrow during my Solar
> Fiesta talk on grid-tied PV, minus our letterhead. "Raw" is the 13-page
> gathered file of all of the posts on the topic, from which the edited
> version was, well, edited.
>
> My contribution on the topic:
> A typical PV-powered off-grid home uses five to fifteen per cent of the
> electricity of a conventional home that has utility power. This is not
> accomplished by forgoing modern conveniences: our off-grid home has
> hydronic
> heat, a microwave, a Maytag refrigerator and Jenn-Air dishwasher, a
> computer, entertainment system, well pump and shop tools. We achieve
> this
> efficiency by closely adhering to two basic rules: use the right form of
> energy for the job, and minimize the amount that's wasted.
> If all of us in the US lived as though we got our heat and power
> directly
> from the sun, we wouldn't be reeling from a terrorist attack on "our way
> of
> life". We wouldn't have gone to war to keep our supply of Mideast oil
> flowing. We would leave the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge alone. We
> could
> see the stars in the night sky.

I'd like to see this.  I have also been motivated lately to find a way
to address this troubling issue.  Mostly, my approach has been to
capture the broader impact of recent world events in such a way as to
make people see another understanding of "payback."  Maybe it will work.
This look at things has also incorporated many of the points raised here
earlier.  Without the input I would not have undertaken this, so
whatever value this has owes to many people here.  Therefore, feel free
to use it however you wish.  If there are suggestions for improvement,
let me know.  Or, make your own improvements as you see fit. This will
be unfinished business for some while I suspect.

http://www.homestead-specialties.com/hs_captive_nation.html#top

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com