off topic [RE-wrenches]

info at backwoodssolar.com info at backwoodssolar.com
Thu Sep 13 05:26:18 PDT 2001

Apparently we all are entitled to one off topic post under these difficult
circumstances. We have a customer who was working in the second tower and
just escaped with his life, now calling for new  copies of his Brazil
hydrosystem plans left behind in the building.  I feel compelled to speak
once, to bring a strong concern I feel we must all adress in our communities
about how we respond to the tragedy.

First, I am concerned that the U.S. not avenge these attacks with attacks
upon other innocent people who may happen to be of the same nationality,
faith, or ethnic group as the alleged perpetrators.  This concern extends to
protecting the safety and rights of people here at home.  Many in this
country of the Islamic faith or of Middle Eastern descent are worried that
they may now become the unwarranted focus of suspicion in their communities
or, worse, the subjects of unjust persecution.

 Second, many in the administration and Congress have declared that a state
of war now exists.  I am concerned that these public statements may be
stirring the popular will and expectation for war.  War against whom?  War
will only compound the tremendous assault on humanity that has already
occurred.  War is not the answer.  The people who committed these acts
struck with hatred.  They saw the people in the World Trade Center, the
Pentagon, and the aircraft as faceless enemies.  They denied the humanity of
their victims.  The U.S. must not commit the same sin by compounding the
hatred, violence, and injustice of these attacks with acts of terror and war
against another people, most of whom are innocent of these crimes.
Steve Willey

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm