DC fluorescent ballasts [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed Sep 5 06:35:41 PDT 2001

Hi Mark,

I have recently been looking and have not been able to find any DC ballasts
that will run 2 four foot bulbs.  ThinLite told me that their 2 lamp four
foot fixture used 2 ballasts. I'd like to know some more about 2 lamp
ballasts for 4' bulbs.

Speaking from my experience in the commercial AC lighting world (that's what
my company does the most of these days). Mismatching bulbs to the ballast
can be a problem.  Both bulb and ballast could see reduced life.  Make sure
they are not using "Shoplight" bulbs available at discount stores.  Those
bulbs are only designed to be installed in the under $10 shop light fixtures
commonly sold at discount stores. I see that quite frequently and is causes
many problems. They really need to be using a F40T12 or F40T12EW (commonly
called a watt miser).  The ballast should have a label that clearly
indicates the type of bulb it's designed to run.  Your best bet would be to
put a F32T8SP41 in there if the ballast indicates that.  Read the label and
if its not clear exactly what bulb it runs write down the numbers it gives
and I'll see if can interpret them for you.

I would be worried about the ballasts if the voltage got above 15 volts but
the manufacturer should be able to answer that question.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar
----------
>From: Mark Downing <solarman4 at yahoo.com>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: DC fluorescent ballasts [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Tue, Sep 4, 2001, 9:34 PM
>

>I have some Amish customers that are using common dual tube 4' shop
>lights converted to 12V with ThinLite ballasts.  They believe that they
>should be getting at least 3 or 4 years life out of them, but are not.
>Questions - Are Iota ballasts more rugged and last longer?
>Where's the best source for Iota ballasts?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark, Hurshtown Alternative Power

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com