DC blower [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Aug 14 08:55:23 PDT 2001

Jay,
    No, if anything it was undersized. The blower was rated 5.1A @12VDC and
1875 rpm with 0.0" static pressure. We used a VLX53, as I recall, with an
LCB. A snap-disc thermostat in the collector and a room thermostat in the
room served as a crude but effective differential controller. We wanted a
gentle flow, that corresponded roughly to thermal gain in the collector.
    The problem started early on--The rotor would rub so slightly against
the cage, so it wouldn't start easily at low input power levels. It would
bind up as clouds passed, requiring a tap to restart. Compared to the AC
unit it replaced, it was pretty anemic to the client. It was built too
cheaply (riveted motor assembly, pressed-steel housing, etc.) to adjust or
correct the problem.
Allan