Wind Turbine Home Furnishings? [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Mon Aug 6 16:49:28 PDT 2001

Hi Joel,
    Actually, I thrive on lemonade! Why else would I still be in this business,
ehh? And I'm not worried at all about losing business to Target and the like. My
concern lies with what damage will be done to the industry by all the shoddy
installs done by folks who are led to believe that it's all plug 'n play.....and
then we're called on to pick up the pieces. I'm also concerned that legitimate
installers will not be able to get product because the D.I.Y. crowd is buying 'em
to put under the Christmas tree!
    And I've done all the things you list for improving my business....and work
hard at making additional refinements each day....and tend to take it personally (a
bit too much I admit!) when a company or individual does anything to give RE a bad
name. Because I do believe it reflects on all of us when that happens.
    As a side note....The farmers that bought wind generators back in the '30s and
'40s from the Sears Catalog are not the same type of folks who would buy an XL.1
from Target now. Those depression era folks were incredible resourceful and
mechanically inclined.....not as many of 'em about these days!
    OK....gotta go squeeze some more lemons....that pucker factor is kicking in!
Roy Butler
Four Winds Renewable Energy
Arkport, NY

Joel Davidson wrote:

> Wind generators and "Hip Hues Personal Fans." And you thought Surplus Center,
> Lincoln NE product mix was strange :-)
>
> Wind generators have been available by mailorder for decades. Sears sold wind
> machines. That's how most farmers bought them before WWII. At one level, the
> Internet is just another mailorder catalog. Many people have dreamed of the day
> when renewable energy equipment would be low priced, readily available and easy
> to install. We are not there yet, but getting closer.
>
> Don't worry about losing business to Target, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.
> There will always be a need for skilled workers. Plumbers had similar
> discussions years ago when Home Depot, etc. began selling residential water
> heaters at 30% off list. Plumbers complained that they would lose business to
> the DIYers and that people would die from tainted water. The truth is DIYers
> never were customers and Mr. and Mrs. Allthumbs still hire plumbers to install
> water heaters. Real plumbers (not roto-rooters) make more money now than ever
> before. Don't worry. Be happy.
>
> Businesses compete by being better, faster, cheaper. It is hard to be cheaper
> unless you are Sam Walton's kin (WalMart) or own Costco. It's hard to be faster
> unless want to tie up your money in a warehouse full of expensive wind machines
> and PV. But is is impossible for discounters, warehousers and mailorder houses
> to be better than you. Your real competition is other Wrenches. Don't worry. Be
> better.
>
> Don't waste time with Target - unless you are giving your business card to the
> Target manager to snag referrals. Are you listed with Bergey as their local
> installer? What differentiates you from the competition? How have you
> positioned your company to optimize your competitive advantage? Stop sucking
> lemons and enjoy the lemonade.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm