Non-tech manufacturer folks on the list [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Fri Aug 3 13:04:48 PDT 2001

>I think that having Pagan be an active participant on the Wrench List is a wonderful idea. I know her and respect her integrity and abilities. If there is ever a time to bend the rules, then this is one.

I disagree. We worked hard to reach consensus on this using Pagan & Xantrex as the case in point. We worked it out this way to avoid having marketing-related persons on what is supposed to be a technical list. At that time, all of the folks involved agreed that they could live with the compromise. Those that wanted no manufacturer reps compromised heavily, and those that wanted to allow them gave up the possibility of having manufacturers non-technical folks on the list.

There misconception is going around that the rule prohibiting Pagan's addition is that there is only one manufacturer representative allowed on the list, and Ezra is already on. While that is technically true, Ezra was on this list early on because of his past as an installer, and because of his technical knowledge. The real reason Pagan is not on the list is that the consensus called for a "technically proficient representative." Pagan does not qualify based on that factor alone. While she has had her hands on RE systems, by her own statement to me she doesn't know much about them or the technical workings of Trace's equipment.

Xantrex has been offered several times the opportunity to put a tech support person on the list. That is what the Wrenches deserve from Trace. While the Trace Industrial Division (?) has Kent Sheldon on the list (he has been a good contributor), apparently Xantrex has decided not to follow through on that for Trace Engineering, still hoping, and continuing to lobby, to get Pagan on the list.

Now here we are again, with the very same folks that wanted Pagan on the list in the first place pushing for it once again.

After the compromise was reached, I offered Pagan and Xantrex the ability to send me messages which I would post to the list if they fit. Soon thereafter I got two requests to do so. One of them had a bit of tech info, and the rest was pretty much PR. I edited out the PR and posted the real info. The other was literally a straight Xantrex press release with absolutely no redeeming info. I did not post it.

That was immediate verification that the Wrenches group decision was the right one and that dealer relations, PR, and other marketing folks should not be on this list.

Tina Nickerson of Siemens saw what was happening with Xantrex and Pagan, and wanted on the list for the same reasons. But after the list members' decision, she graciously deferred and Siemens now has Arthur Rudin on the list. Tina (Hi Tina) follows the list too, and when there is something she wants posted she knows to send it to me and that I will post it if it answers the technical or other needs of the list.

I asked that folks on the list not post to the list their opinions on this, but rather send them to me. If enough of you wanted Pagan on the list, I was willing to revisit this subject. If the Wrenches agree that Pagan should be on the list, then it will happen. But I do not agree that an "exception" should be made for her. We have a solid policy based a particular company's request, and we should not break policy for that same company's repeated request.

I put a lot of time and effort into this list, and a lot of time into facilitating this discussion the last time around. Frankly, I had hoped not to have to redo what we had already put a lot of time and effort into. We lost some members as a result of that previous arduous exercise, and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Freedom begins between the ears."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
     Managing Editor, Home Power magazine
     Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
     (Not HP mag numbers) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com