slip rings [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson freepower at freepower.co.nz
Wed Jul 11 13:45:49 PDT 2001

hugh piggott wrote:

> At 9:21 am -0700 11/7/01, Lawrence  Elliott wrote:
> >As someone who has been doing wind for 25 years I think the cable
> >idea will work on some turbines. Question is why?
>
> My question is why not?  If there is no problem, why spend any money
> on a reliable solution?  Good sliprings caused a big price rise at
> Proven, and I have thus far had more problems with their sliprings
> than I had with their cables (= none).
>
> there are turbulent sites where the cables can cause a problem but
> they are rare.
> --
> Hugh

Yes, the machine that this technique was used on successfully was a 'back'
rather than 'side' yawing model and it might not be appropriate for side
yawing machines.

I agree with Hugh's reasoning on cost, and would comment that the Clark
was a budget machine and the extra cost of slip rings would have impacted
the price considerably.

I would like to know if the AWP sites on the falklands have had cable
snapping problems.

We tend to use 200 volt three phase machines here with quite light cable,
usually 3 x 2.5mm2 again to cut costs on long cable runs. With such light
cable the machine would certainly need some cable support to prevent
damage.

Regarding Michael's comment on lost watts, the high tensile steel tends to
act as a spring and will flick the machine back a turn when it reaches the
limit. The proportion of time that this will happen is minor as the
rotation tends to average out most of the time.

Carl E

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm