Pond aeration (was Diversion Load) [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Mon Jun 11 14:56:14 PDT 2001

Chris Daum wrote:
> Yeah, when it's minus 20F to minus 40F, none of this stuff you guys are
> talking about works.  That's the Montana report.

Hmmm.  I ran into this freezing problem vis a vis stock tanks some years
ago.  I don't consider myself an expert on any kind of solution, but
something has occurred to me.  It may sound dumb, but salt water freezes
at a lower temperature than fresh water does. Why not put salt blocks in
the tanks to lower the freezing point even further?  I don't know if
livestock hankers after salty water but deer sure like to lick salt in
the winter time.  Aren't deer sort of like - livestock?  Their
metabolism must require a certain amount of salt. Maybe that's true of
cattle too.  Perhaps doing this might serve a dual purpose if a certain
amount of salt is good for cattle and what not. The problem is these
animals might start developing hypertension {!} or start drinking LOTS
of water owing to the salty composition creating greater thirst.  At the
same time a thirsty cow in winter is better than a stiff, dead one.
Also, continually thirsty cattle will help with this problem as they
keep punching their snoots through whatever ice layer may build up. Keep
them doing some of the work. It's just a thought.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com
Direct Email: grail at inil.com