Diversion Load for wind generator [RE-wrenches]

Smitty smitty at aaasolar.com
Fri Jun 8 14:38:36 PDT 2001

Darrin, I'd be curious as to what you come up with for the stock tanks. Many
moons ago, we worked with the Folks at Sandia Labs to come with a stock tank
deicer. They had some designs and so did we. They recruited a rancher in
northern NM as a test bed for these contraptions. A couple of the more, ahem,
interesting designs they had us install, was a 4 x 8 liquid collector glycol
system in the stock tank with a coil of soft copper as a heat exchanger. Frozen
solid. Another was a 1" thick slab of black aluminum standing in the tank like
that thing in 2001. Frozen solid.

Our approach won the race, but no customers. We simply put a used 30 watt PV on
a stand, frozen in the middle of the tank so the cattle couldn't get to it. It
powered a small Teel submersible pump housed in a screen covered coffee can at
the bottom of the tank, near the edge of the tank. When sun up rolled around,
the pump would shoot water up to the underside of the ice that formed over
night and burn a hole in it like a spring would. It worked well. Got the cost
down to about $250, and not one rancher bought one of our "Ranch Hands". I
guess we shoulda had a round circle worn into the back pocket of our britches.
I hope you have better luck. Smitty.

BS The DC elements I have seen would need a lot of wattage to do any good.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com