Carflex revisited [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue May 29 12:02:03 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Bill, etal,
I disagree strongly. Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit (FNC) not only
looks better and more professional than USE or Tray cable, but it
seals out moisture FAR better than those wiring methods. We assume
it's installed properly, which is actually easier to do than Tray or
USE. USE comes only in black, whereas THW or THHN comes in black,
red, white, and lots of other colors if you want to get crazy.
Half inch FNC can easily take three #10 THHN conductors. These make
it FAR easier AND CHEAPER to series or series-parallel a subarray. It
is also safer as there is less likelihood of a screw up then when
using all black conductors with (hopefully) correctly marked phasing
tape. Individual wire gland nuts ain't cheap. Sometimes you need up
to FIVE or SIX of the buggers on a single J-box. Astropower, ASE, etc
need to get with the program. EVERY other device in a PV system is
either conduit ready or they don't get UL listed. I guess those manus
are "special"?
Ever restrip a piece of USE that has been in the weather for awhile?
Forget it. The copper strands are always discolored, never clean and
bright. I don't know what that means exactly, but it ain't good.
And the main reason to use it is this: MOST inspectors like it far
better. Exposed individual conductors are forbidden in most
applications per the NEC. It is far easier-and better- to go with
what they know than to retrain them for no good reason. We are not
talking safety hazard here, Bill. One could make a case for just the
opposite. Your holding tight on this 60/80 Carflex thing is rigidity
beyond reason.
You want to educate inspectors to your way of wiring by telling them
that my way is bad? That doesn't sound like we're on the same side at
all, does it?
BTW, the only other PE that I know who takes these kinds of positions
is J.Wiles. Must be something in the water.
bob-O

>All this emotion over flexible conduit. I still believe Tray Cable or USE-2
>is cheaper and better. Why is everyone so intent on using conduit in the
>array? I will follow with a response to Drake and Bob-O concerns later.
>
>Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm