Service Calls and Omar Khayyam [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Mon May 28 19:21:55 PDT 2001

Joel Davidson wrote:
> How much do licensed (non-solar) plumbers and (non PV) electricians get?

Well, let's see here....  This is one of my favorite [?] subjects
anymore.  BTW and first off, Joel, I just recently used a formula
similar to yours with a lukewarm prospect locally. ;-)   I may have even
displaced a decimal point in my favor somewhat "inadvertently."  $300K
makes a man's pants dampen pretty fast.  Anyway, hereabouts [Chicago far
west suburbs] where many gold plated SUVs are parked, rates for
conventional plumbers can get near $100/hour and conventional
electricians can top $110/hour easily. You can imagine how they might
price out one of them there PV systems!  That's assuming they are even
interested which the majority certainly aren't from what I can tell.
I've checked.  I was considering sub-contracting jobs but nobody seems
all that interested so far.

These regular tradespeople have plenty of work they can do almost
blindfolded.  I even tried discussing such sub-contracting opportunities
with the local IBEW PV "trainer."  So far he's been ignoring me I think.
 Go figure.

Some tradespeople might work for less certainly.  Like me.  But that was
before I actually requested hourly rates from some of these regular
trade folks to do solar systems.  Since then I've given myself a nice
raise which, of course, is sort of pointless if prospects aren't capable
of holding their water over solar job estimates.

Furthermore, the likely prospects in this general area are quite
scattered about and would at times require considerable driving should
anything materialize. With gasoline and time being such a valued
commodity nowadays, the economics aren't encouraging.  And what if you
have to spend a few nights far from home to do the work on site?  Who
pays for that?  As they say so wisely, sometimes you just can't give up
that day job.  Moonlighting at solar work just doesn't sound right for
some reason. Ironically, it would appear that the better areas for PVs
often have the lower wage rates.  That might partly explain why they are
"the better areas for PVs."  Anybody else notice this?

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com
Direct Email: grail at inil.com