Carflex revisited [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 10:59:43 PDT 2001

Bob-O,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have been busier than a.... I
guess that makes me a parrot of BS from "some pedantic, busy-body,
non-wrench" ;-). I know you're expressing yourself out of frustration. I
have been in contact representatives of Carlon and Electri-Flex and it
appears that the previous rating of 105C dry and 80C wet has been backed off
to 105C dry and 60C wet. Having held the previous product in my hand, I
absolutely know that it was not a myth. Some products get pulled from the
market for a variety of reasons (Qest tubing for example) and other products
change their rating.

The real problem is that the PV manufacturing industry is not supporting the
installing community with properly rated equipment. If you want to use 60C
Wet-rated flex conduit, go right ahead. Most inspectors will not give you a
bit of trouble for it. However, a real stickler can screw you on it.

The issue in my mind is not so much whether it can handle the heat, but will
someone question it somewhere down the road and cause problems. If we had it
properly rated, there would no question and no problem. That goes for every
wiring method including Tray Cable (the way I personally prefer to install)
except for USE-2. It appears that USE-2 is the only fully acceptable code
method of intermodule wiring and it still requires proper support (an item
open to a lot of subjective review).

I have seen several cases of flex conduit causing junction boxes to pop off
the back of PV modules creating a huge hazard. I have also seen the
blue-flex crap pull out of junction boxes and abraid wire causing equally
dangerous hazardards. I've only seen flex conduit pulling out of connectors
on a few occasions and it could have been temperature or poor installation.

Some module manufacturers are beginning to address this problem with
UL-listed  system assemblies where the package includes all UL-recognized
components designed to be installed according to the UL-reviewed
installation manual. That doesn't help the wrench that want to design their
own custom system, but it does go a long way.

We need the PV manufacturing industry to step up to the plate and address
this. This is only one of a host of issues that can cause us grief as we
gear up to install thousands of systems in California.

If I find something, I'll be the first to let you know. For now, use USE-2
or tray cable with THWN-2 or XLP-2 or XHHW-2, or whatever you can get
through your local inspector in conduit.

Below is a UL-recognized product that could do the job for us. I believe
Solarex has used this or a similar product in their installations.

Type CL-standard weight
Standard weight. Provides the best mechanical strength and protection of the
Corrlok conduits.

The Corrlok/KOPEX System:
The Corrlok System offers designers and electricians many advantages over
numerous other wiring products. It provides a very light weight,
liquidtight, flexible raceway resistant to abrasion, sunlight, temperature
extremes and many common chemicals. The specially formulated nylon compounds
are self extinguishing and release no halogens or corrosive gases in fire
situations.

Applications:
Corrlok conduits are defined in the National Electrical Code (ANSI/NFPA-70)
under article 351-22 (3) for Liquidtight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduits. It's
design is also referred to as type C. The Corrlok System is well suited for
many electrical installations such as Industrial Control Equipment, Machine
Tools and Plastic Molding/Extrusion machinery. Also used for wiring Printing
Presses, Textile Machinery and Medical Equipment. The system also lends
itself quite well to non-electrical applications such as protecting
air-logic circuitry and Fiber Optics. The conduits can be extruded in other
colors to differentiate between Electrical circuits and Fiber Optics.
 Because the materials used are non-toxic and self extinguishing, Corrlok is
a proven choice for situations where the potential for fire in confined,
inhabited areas is a concern. Passenger rail vehicles are just one of the
many such examples.

Construction:
Conduits of the Corrlok System are manufactured in a continuous
extrusion/corrugation process which produces a flexible seamless tube with
annular corrugations. The corrugations are what gives the conduit it's
strong crush and impact resistance and excellent flexibility properties. The
internal corrugations are well rounded which facilitates easy wire
insertion.

Material:
Halogen Free Nylon 6

Working Temperature:
-40C to 105C Intermitting to 150C
Standard Color:
Black. Other colors available upon request.
 UL Recognized Component File #E192135 For Electrical Machine Installations
600 V, 105C, Vertical Flame, Liquidtight, UV, and Impact Tested.

Fitting Pull-Out:
150 lbs. (1/2" and larger). To be used only with KOPEX connectors of the
Corrlok System.

The Parrot

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm