Kohler 25/30 kw 3 phase [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Thu May 24 10:15:30 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Hi Wrenches,

This is an old thread, but I thought it fair to report what we finally
decided to do.  We are adding a third SW4024 to the system to balance the
three phase generator while charging.  We will also use the third inverter
to feed a separate box in the house.  We will try to put the loads with
heavy surges on the third unit, so that the surges won't dim the lights in
the house that will run off the stacked SW4024s.

The reasons we decided to go this route had to do with the high cost and
lack of efficiency of industrial 24 volt battery chargers. The cost of a
charger that would work came to $3804.00   The efficiency figures were hard
to understand, but the bottom line was that for the AC amps going in, it
would produce far fewer DC amps going to the batteries than the SW4024.

We also investigated using 5 24 volt  IOTA chargers in parallel.  There
were problems with doing that, in that some of the chargers might tend to
shut down or produce very little power.  After talking with David Light
from Iota, I am anxious to give the chargers a try on other
applications.  They sound similar to the Todd, but probably much more
reliable.

I will post to the list the results of the three inverter, three phase
setup after completion.

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com