Aquastar for supplemental hydronic heat [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at erols.com
Mon May 21 06:13:59 PDT 2001

I am installing an Aquastar instant DHW heater for total off grid moutain
cabin (weekend use only) as part of a solar/gen/battery alternative energy
package.  Limited cabin size and large central fireplace to provide most of
heat but owner needed a little heat in 2 back bathrooms and bedrooms.
Ordered Aquastar 125BL designed for re-circulating systems but when received
installation diagrams from manufacturer it appears they require a storage
tank to separate the heating loop and only show underfloor radiant
heat(probably due to lower 130-140 degree operating range.)

I have used baseboard heat on many other systems that worked just fine at
this lower temperature by just using longer radiation lengths to get same
output as shorter radiation operating at higher temp, however, why the tank?
I have had good results with other instant heaters re-circulating the DHW
through radiation as long as pump and all piping were stainless steel or
copper.

Anybody had BAD experience using small re-reculating heating loop and no
storage tank with an Aquastar re-circulating design unit?  Again, this is a
very limited size radiation loop.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago

- - - -