absorption air conditioning [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Tue May 15 21:46:22 PDT 2001

I provided power for a similar system using the Servel/ Rohbur unit. In our
case it ran to a forced air system which decreased its effeciency  from the
Home Power article with passive cooling valences. Our 3 ton unit pulled
almost 2200 watts AC. Thats the blower in the house,the cooling fan in the
unit, the circulator pump and assorted controls and their transformers. It
didn't operate properly on a SW5548 either until I added a 50 microfarad
cap to the inverter output. I can't reccommend them for offgrid at this
time. Maybe somebody could convert most of that previously  mentioned crap
to high effeciency DC?    WINDY?
 Ground source heat pumps are possible, but they require 220 vac with equal
power draw, just no propane bill. Drilling all the wells though is gonna
cost plenty. Cooling offgrid demands a holistic approach: Go underground,
Insulate, Reduce (ahh!) Solar gain, promote natural ventilation, use
ceiling fans, evaparative coolers, then use a small 1.5 ton unit with high
SEER rating to bring you closer to the comfort zone. It takes ACTIVE
participation on the consumer's part, Lots of cash, and a willingness to
sweat a little.

Ray Walters

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com