PV Inverters module strings (Last Call) [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson freepower at freepower.co.nz
Tue May 8 15:16:36 PDT 2001

Hullo Joel...

Thanks for your efforts with the list.

I want to assist in the exercise, but the point has been made that the list pretty
much applies to a particular geographic area yet Trace is a global product.

In our part of the world the roof modules from Canon Japan are very popular.

I have already supplied detail for these and the matter has been overlooked.

I quote my Email...
=========================
I notice how quick the Canon/Unisolar range has been discounted for use with the
PV series inverters.

I have done several array designs with these products.

The EF2-64 'Econoflat' roof module will perform well with this inverter.

The VOC max. at Zero degrees Celsius is under 600 Volts with a 27 module string.

The MPPT remains within the window of 300-480 right up to a 70 degrees celsius
module temperature.

Please do not discount these products without being sure of their behavior.

Please also note that the US64 has a much different MPPT curve and the
Canon/Unisolar range cannot be assumed to fall into one spec.

========================

I have been able to present this data with confidence because of personal
experience and hard data.

I am less able to present the case for the US64 or SSR range because I have no hard
data as to how the MPPT behaves at different temperatures with these products. If
any Wrench out there has this data I am willing to run the numbers and come up with
a yes or no to their suitability.

I am aware of the commercial separation of Canon and Unisolar however there still
remains a lesser commercial link through a parent company.

Are we clear about how the inverter will behave if the voltage window is exceeded.
It is common for the MPPT design to simply shift the max. power point down and
'regulate'  if the upper limit is exceeded. This simply means a short term loss of
potential production at the top end without harming the unit. The bottom end is
generally not a problem as the inverter production simply drops out.
So I think we need to understand the consequences of going beyond the window with
this unit.

My comment about the panels available next year was to indicate that the list will
quickly be out of date unless it is under regular revision as new products appear.
I know that there will be several new products soon.

Lastly I would appreciate a copy of Johns spread sheet, I also applaud the approach
of SMA....   Thanks John.

Thanks again Joel...

Carl Emerson
Manager
FREEPOWER LTD.  "Harnessing Natural Energy"  Auckland, NEW ZEALAND.
Email: freepower at freepower.co.nz     Web: www.freepower.co.nz

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm