Voltage drop musings [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 20:27:56 PDT 2001

Yes, I have 32 each 70-watt modules 4 in series for nominal 48 volts. The C40 is
set at 54.8 volts so that voltage flows downhill to the inverter which is set at
54.4 volts.

Note that this is a grid tied net metered PV system with batteries - not a stand
alone or standby PV system.

The problem with a net metered PV system using the SW-series inverter with
batteries is that the inverter operates at the nominal battery voltage, not the
optimum PV array max power point. Since the batteries are just sitting there
being float charged and power passes through the inverter to the load and grid,
can the SolarBoost send max power from the array to the inverter? Has anyone
used a SolarBoost to get around this SW inverter shortcoming?

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com