Voltage drop musings [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue May 1 17:16:22 PDT 2001

At 05:15 PM 5/1/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Did you mean to say  "the charge controllers you are familiar with are MPPT
>based"?  MPPT voltage is going to be pretty constant (at least that's what I
>think) so yes, I'd use something over 60 volts for my voltage drop calc.

Travis:

The Trace ST series inverters are designed for non-battery grid tie.  They
take a direct connection from the PV arrays without a charge controller.
They have built in MPPT circuitry.  I understand the MPPT voltage can vary
because the ST recalculates the power point once a minute.  If the sun goes
behind a cloud, the MPPT may well be different.

It sounds like you work in some beautiful country.  I'd love to ride along
on some job.  I'm fortunate to get out in the boonies regularly, but the
country side here is more wide open, prone to rolling grazing land.  We do
have some dense sycamore bottom land though.  Also, we have beautiful oak
studded hillsides.  The wildflowers are intense right now.

The spreadsheets on sun angles are simple ones I wrote based on an article
in HP about sun angles.  I could share them with you, if you would like.  I
run them on the Palm with the use of "Documents to go" which allows one to
use spreadsheets and word processor documents.

Thanks for thinking about this.

William

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com