Voltage drop musings [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Tue May 1 16:15:57 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
You don't need to limit voltage drop to 1%.   Various Code interpretations
would limit it to no more than 2 or 3%, or even 5%.  This is from a Fine
Print Note in the code.  It is a recommendation only.

The Code rulings for feeders and branch circuits would limit the drop from
point of origin to end use to a total of 5 %.  This does not specifically
apply to PV, but it is sometimes used as a guideline.  So far as I know,
their is no Code limit to the VD.

Here is the NEC on the issue:

FPN No. 4: Conductors for branch circuits as defined in Article 100, sized
to prevent a voltage drop exceeding 3 percent at the farthest outlet of
power, heating, and lighting loads, or combinations of such loads, and
where the maximum total voltage drop on both feeders and branch circuits to
the farthest outlet does not exceed 5 percent, will provide reasonable
efficiency of operation. See Section 215-2 for voltage drop on feeder
conductors.

With a PV array without MPPT, a higher voltage drop doesn't matter
much.  The voltage difference between battery voltage and module voltage
will dissipate as heat.  The difference in current will not be
great.   Current charges batteries, not voltage.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com