Wire nuts in DC? was (Re: Fried Combinor Box) [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 2 12:40:19 PDT 2001

Wrenches with wire nuts,

The problem with wire nuts from the beginning has been installation
technique. If you read the directions on proper installation of wire nuts
(twist-on wire splices), you find that most people are too lazy to install
them properly. We get away with this in AC systems, not because there is any
kind of "self-cleaning" going, but because arching in AC systems is usually
less destructive than with DC. It may take 30-years for a wire nut in an AC
system to break down, but the installation technique in a 12- or 24-volt
system will fail in less than 5 years.

A similar problem we have is the use of indoor wire nuts in outdoor junction
boxes. All wire nuts in Rainproof and waterproof boxes outside must be of
the waterproof type (designed for wet locations). If we put an indoor wire
nut, slopily installed in an outdoor enclosure, we have almost guaranteed
failure.

This has caused many in the PV field to warn against the use of wire nuts
with PV systems. I think we are beginning to tone down that rhetoric, but
add many stipulations so that people are clear on the fact that any
connector improperly applied and installed can cause problems.

Bill.

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com