Smoke detector flameout [RE-wrenches]

hugh piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Sun Apr 1 16:43:31 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>At 6:33 pm +0100 1/4/01, Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar wrote:
>Hugh,
>
>Your "logic" reminds me of a conversation I had ... the waste would
>create jobs
>for people building more power plants and thusly be good for the economy...
>And as to that answering machine, I have set up many devices such as
>these, for
>constant "on" use through direct battery operation. To my thinking it makes no
>sense to have the inverters 15 watt idle current powering a 50 ma load.

OK I admit that your sentiments are to be commended.  I am just a
human being who enjoys comfort.  I have wrestled with running
everything off my 12 volts throughout the late 70s and 1980's and the
novelty is long gone.  I don't find it worthwhile adapting appliances
for myself or my neighbours now (except for fun in the late
afternoon).  I just feel I have moved on from that.  Those were the
old hippy days.

The debate about energy efficiency is very important - don't get me
wrong.  But it's worth something to me to just be able to rely on 24
hour AC power.  I don't really believe it's a waste.  Most uses of
electricity are arguably wasteful in some way, when it comes down to
it.  As we find out when power gets really scarce :-)  But most of
the time I have ample renewable energy, so I plan to enjoy it.
--
Hugh

Scoraig, Scotland
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk