Fried Combinor Box [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Fri Mar 30 11:59:00 PST 2001

<x-flowed>
At 10:10 PM 03/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Drake,
>
>Does the hundred bucks include parts only, or does it
>account for man hours required to assemble it?
>
>Jerry Caldwell

HI Jerry,

That would depend on certain assumptions, and how deluxe the box needed to
be.  The big question is "what type of fuses are needed for the series
fuses?"  The code has an interesting statement about these fuses.  Below is
the quote from 690-4(C) "Module Connection Arrangement:

"Supplementary overcurrent devices used for the exclusive protection of the
photovoltaic modules are not considered as overcurrent devices for the
purpose of this section. "

To me this means that the fuses don't need to meet the usual requirements
for overcurrent devices in the code.  Does that mean we don't need to use
fuses with a high Amp Interrupt Capability, and that in line fuses should
be adequate?

But if we set up a box with FRN-R fuses and busses with standoffs, a
combiner box adequate for 16 Siemens SP 75 modules could be made for about
$105.00 which would include the cost of an apprentice working for one hour
to set it up.

4  15 amp FRN-R fuses           9.84
2  double fuse holders                    17.36
1  12 X 12 WP enclosure            24.05
2  standoff kits                                   27.64
2  12 hole bus bars                     9.94
1   hour apprentice time                   16.00

Total                                      104.83

This includes fuses, which the Trace box doesn't.  If we used cheaper
fuses, such as in line fuses and holders, that would reduce the cost.  We
could reduce the size of the enclosure this way, also.

We wouldn't necessarily need the bus bars and standoffs either.  We could
use wire nuts.  I know this is controversial, as some have claimed that
wire nuts don't work with DC.  I have yet to see a problem.  If wire nuts
are to be avoided, we could use split bolts.

I don't have the prices available, but if a box were made up of a 6 X 6
enclosure, with in line fuses,  split bolts and some tape, it would
certainly be adequate technically.  The output would go to the array
disconnect.

But, I think a fairly deluxe combiner box, materials and labor could be
made for a little over a hundred that would be very adequate for 16 SP 75
modules.  If you deduct the cost of the fuses, it would come out just under
a hundred.

Drake

>--- Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy
><solar at eagle-access.net> wrote:
> > For easily under a hundred bucks I can build an
> > effective combiner box
> > where the wires won't come loose.  The Trace TCB10
> > goes for $229.00
> > according to the Trace Web site.

>http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=text
>
>- - - - - - -
>To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
>The archive of previous messages:
>  http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
>List rules & etiquette:
>  http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm
>
>To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
>To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>  www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine:
>  www.homepower.com
>
>For info contact list moderator by email:
>  michael.welch at homepower.com

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: