PV Inverters module strings [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 29 23:51:14 PST 2001

Joel,

It's a temperature issue so you cannot make a blanket statement for all
locations. You can say for all of California, except the Sierra's, 24
crystalline modules in series will generally work. If the open circuit
voltage of a crystalline module is low enough, we may be able to go to
25-modules in series right along the coast of California, or any where it
never goes below freezing. Solarex MST-43, UniSolar-all products, and any
other low fill-factor module (CdTe) will likely not work with this inverter
because the difference between the Voc and Vmp is too great.

The temperature correction factors come from Table 690-7 in the NEC. This
correction factor table only applies to crystalline modules, but we can rule
out thin films for the time being because even though their correction
factors are less--even with no correction factors they will not work.

Bill.