Smoke detector flameout [RE-wrenches]

info at backwoodssolar.com info at backwoodssolar.com
Tue Mar 27 18:23:32 PST 2001

This is an example of an issue that needs more practical treatment in the
code. AC supported smoke detectors are simply impractical in many inverter
systems.  These are a good example of an item that should be Dc powered,
along with alarm systems and the like.  One local electrician here got the
inspector to agree to a dual DC power source, and had a dc line plus back-up
dry cell batteries powering each detector through isolating diodes.  That
made some customization work that we would like to find a better answer
for...  but we need to get phantom loads recognized as a legitimate thing to
avoid in good design.  There is a Lawrence lab report out showing that over
5% of all residential power is lost to phantom loads or "leaking loads" as
they called it.

The electric code seeks safety only, hence we have had the hassle of array
fusing hardware and array  GFI etc, and now the dual power of smoke alarms.
This is a very reasonable way to add safety in a grid home, but is bad
engineering in an independent PV home.  There should be an equivalent dual
power scheme approved for such circumstances.  But then who is going to make
the detectors with dual DC inputs?

We know a lot of stories about customers switching out the AC detectors to
just battery detectors after inspection, to let the inverter find search
mode. That is not the intent of the code, and that suggests a change might
enhance safety.

Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar Electric Systems www.backwoodssolar.com
A catalog business on a mountain
2 miles from utility lines,
powered entirely by our catalog products.
IF UTILITY POWER IS 1/4 MILE OR MORE FROM YOUR SITE,
get our free 160 page solar-electric Planning Guide/Catalog.
(Your postal address required - Our list is never given or sold).
Phone(208)263-4290  Fax (208) 265-4788  in Idaho, USA