Results of test yet? [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Thu Mar 22 09:26:39 PST 2001

info at backwoodssolar.com wrote:

> Any reports yet on the battery pulsers being tested over the winter by
> someone on this list?

Hi Steve,

Well, one of those people would be me. I've had a heck of a time trying to
get the test done with the CanPulse unit from Jeff Wolfe. The unit's
capacity is too small to allow me to use it on my 1050 AH / 24vdc home
battery bank. And I had to loan my 24 vdc charger to a customer and haven't
gotten it back yet....so the 24 volt unit testing hasn't happened yet.
Thanks for your patience Jeff!!
    But....on the 12 volt DS-500 desulfator from IES....I've been able to
perform several tests. I'm not quite ready to write this up "officially"
right now, but can offer you this unscientific version of my findings.

On 2- 650 CCA start batteries (app age of 1 year).....both of these had
been left completely discharged for several weeks after having failed
prematurely due to abuse (not mine!). Both failed to accept a charge using
a conventional 2/10/50 amp Schumacher auto battery charger. The DS-500 was
connected to each one in turn and charged again...using the same charger
and the same charging times as previously. Both batteries appeared to fully
charge and passed a 20 second (starter) load test with flying colors,
although 1 of them did require a second round of charging. This battery had
a slightly bulging case and appears to have been frozen. These batteries
are now being used in various vehicles...in very cold weather....with great
success (so far).

On my old (3 years) 90 AH trolling battery. This has been used for shop
projects, demos and shows...and occasionally for 2 meter ham radio use. I'm
ashamed to say that it's been severely neglected...by me and by others that
have borrowed it. It was returned by one person complete dry....no
electrolyte in sight!(a paucity of electrolyte?) Visual inspection showed
severe sulfation. I've been throwing a charge at it whenever I had enough
wind power here to justify the power usage. And over the past 12-14 months,
I'd come to the conclusion that this battery needed funeral arrangements.

Using the exact same charger and charge times that I had with MANY previous
charging attempts, but now with the DS-500 attached, this battery was
successfully charged. FYI....this was done with several back to back
chargings over 3 days. The battery passed the 20 second (starter) load test
with flying colors, powered my 12 volt/ 50 watt drop light for 19 hours (I
can live with 80% capacity!) and after being fully recharged has now been
sitting, unused, on my bench for 6 weeks.
At this moment, it has only self-discharged down to 85% capacity and just
passed another 20 second load test. Not too shabby for that old timer!
    I'm going to start on my old (and heavily sulfated) golf cart batteries
next week. And I should have my 24 volt DC charger back shortly and can
start on the 24 volt desulfator test. I'll keep you all posted.
    One final note...I fully realize that these tests don't conform to
standard testing procedures and won't satisfy a lot of folks. But...being a
non-believer myself, I'm rapidly becoming convinced that there is
definitely an advantage to using these desulfators. Something is happening
here which is allowing me to "bring back" batteries which I would normally
throw away. And the results I'm getting by using "real world" testing
(using them in my vehicles, etc.) certainly can't be ignored. Further
testing and study is definitely required but so far, so good!

Roy Butler
Four Winds Renewable Energy Co.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com