Just in from Square D [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sun Mar 11 08:27:25 PST 2001

<x-flowed>
>>.
>
>A 2 pole breaker is safer than a single pole one, because one of the
>supply terminals (upstream of the breaker) might accidentally become
>grounded at source without being noticed.  Whichever one became live
>(hot?) would then be protected.  I always assumed this was the reason for
>requiring a 2 pole breaker.   If there is another reason, I'd be
>interested to hear it.

Part of the reason is the in the US, our National Electrical Code requires
that all ungrounded conductors have overcurrent protection.  I don't know
how this would apply to British systems.

>I like ungrounded systems where there are 120V battery terminals to work
>on.  But I suppose it would be safer to treat them all as potentially live
>(hot).

I think we would have trouble getting past an inspector with one of these
systems here, unless it was an industrial application.  The electrical
worlds we deal with are quite different.  I was fascinated with the
electrical installations in Wales when I was there in 99.

Drake

>--
>Hugh
>
>Scoraig, Scotland
>http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk
>
>- - - - - - -
>To send a message:
>RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
>The archive of previous messages: http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
>List rules & etiquette:
>http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine: www.homepower.com
>
>For info contact list moderator by email:
>michael.welch at homepower.com

>T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less. Newsletters, Tips and Discussions
>on Topics You Choose.
>http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com