net metered system question [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Tue Mar 6 20:21:56 PST 2001

Bill Brooks wrote:

> On grid-connected systems I don't believe in going to Bulk. Since they can
> absorb for an indefinite period, it's not necessary to go through that
> process. After an outage at night, the inverter simply returns the system to
> float voltage. It will take longer to go through absorbtion, but it does
> away with the problem of the unit not dispatching to the grid during Bulk
> charge. Since the timer is set to 0:00, it doesn't matter what you set it
> to. I usually set it to 54 Volts like the float.

Hey Bill,

I want to respectfully disagree with you hear.  I don't know if this
issue has been responded to, as I hven't been able to work my way
through all my email (and some well go unread).  I have read a number of
posts essentially saying that the efficiency of an SW can be improved by
changing a number of default settings under the battery charging menue.
I believe doing away with the bulk charge and absorbtion could greatly
impact battery life.  Althought the Trace will not initiate a charge
cycle after an overnight period of darkness (not sure what you ment by
overnight outage), it will initate a charge cycle after any power loss
to AC1 (utility down or cycle power at the breaker).  If there is a
power outage, and some of the battery is consumed, I believe simply
bringing voltage back up to a float setting is inadequate.  I have even
told some clients with a grid tied SW to cycle power to the inverter
(turn AC1 breaker off for ten seconds) every time they change the angle
on their seasonally adjustable array.  Gives the battery a nice shot.

The bigger issue with the SW is the silent sell.  There is no easy
answer to the battery baby-sitting SW -- Kurt Nelson

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: