QO Breakers and Panels [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Tue Mar 6 07:58:20 PST 2001

Hi Travis,

Square-D QO breakers....up to the 70 amp size are rated for use up to 50
volts DC. That's why they're quite iffy for use in 48 volt
systems.....you'll wind up over the 50 volts frequently if you're doing it
right! As for the breaker's DC approval...it's got to do with the AIR
rating of the QOs. To the best of my knowledge, the HOM type breakers do
not have the DC rating.

Look on page 57 of Wiles' Sandia Handbook, under Distribution
Systems....that discusses the QO breaker rating. And I've had several
systems with the QO DC load center pass inspection with flying colors....no
problemo!

Hope this helps a bit.

Roy Butler
Four Winds RE