net metered system question [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 5 09:26:07 PST 2001

David and other wrenches.

John Berdner might want to chime in on this, but the pulse charge controller
begins to regulate the input current as the battery nears the set point
(about 1 Volt before setting). This is why it is prudent to set the
secondary charge controller (pulse in this situation), well above the
setpoint of the primary charge controller (SW inverter in this situation).
My feeling is that a minimum is one full volt higher for the secondary
setting. In the case of the pulse unit, it may need to be 1.5 or 2 volts
higher. This will also take care of the problem that the temperature
compensation probes are do not have the exact same correction factor and can
interfere at the high temperature end of the spectrum.

This is a very important issue. If you are not calibrating your charge
controller settings with an independent (reliable) meter, you are likely to
have this problem over and over again. This is especially true with the
Trace C-40. The potentiometer settings are not intended to be perfectly
accurate, so setting each controller to "11:00" or some similar method does
not necessarily work. The controller settings must be confirmed.

Bill.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: