Downloading by Cell Phone - fast internet connection at remote locations [RE-wre

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue Feb 27 07:40:54 PST 2001

Blair:

I saw in your recent post that you download by cell phone.
I was in that position for a long time and understand your concern.
Although this is a little bit off topic I thought it might be of interest to
the group
I have no financial interest or connection to the company mentioned and I
offer this only because I think it can be helpful to the wrenches and their
customers out there.

Just before the first of the year I installed a Starband system.
www.starband.com
Starband is a bi directional (no telephone lines required) satellite system
and gives you a high speed internet connection to the internet.

Upload speeds are typically 128 kbps or better, download speeds are
typically 500 to 2000 kbps..
Cost was about $650 for hardware and install plus $60 per month for the 24/7
connection.
The main drawback is the high latency (1.5 to 2 seconds) while the signal
travels from the ground to the satellite and back down to the ground.
The latency means that you can't really do internet telephone or video
conferencing but downloading big files works great!

Overall I have been pleased with the system and the company.
There have been a few "startup" type issues but the company credited me for
one months service for my troubles.
Tech support hold times are a little bit long and sometimes the people are
not all that knowledgeable but they are trying and it is getting better.
The main big negative is that Starband does not offer a dial up number for
times when you are away from home.

They have two options for service -
One is an overpriced Compaq computer from Radio Shack and you have to sign
up with MSN for a year.
The other option is the Model 180 modem with a USB port to connect to any
computer.
With the 180 you can use any computer and there are even ways to network it.

One thing to note:

If you live where it snows be sure to mount the dish where you can easily
brush the snow off of it.
Accumulations of less than 1/2" of snow on the dish will take out the
connection.
Some people have tried removing the snow with water from the hose.
My neighbor did this and ended up with and ice on the dish and it took 4
days to melt.
After that he moved his dish off the roof to a place he can brush it off
with a broom.

If you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

John Berdner

SMA-America, Inc.