Heat redistribution/timer [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positivenergy.com
Wed Feb 21 14:36:18 PST 2001

Gary,
The problem I see is 24 cycles/day on a DC-powered timer; it's probably a
custom unit.  I did a similar approach recently with an AC well pump, but I
only needed 2 cycles/day.  AEE sells a 12V/24V DC analog timer, part
#52-520-016 ($90 retail) to control the relay.  Their catalog suggest a
minimal on or off cycle of 15 minutes, using trippers to activate a switch.
As extra trippers can be added, in theory you could do 48 cycles/day...but
the switch might wear out in a few years, and it's pretty spendy...
If you use a T240, make sure that the relay controls the input side, to
avoid phantom loads.  Also use a DC coil relay, for same reason.  But
hey--if the motor is only 1/3 hP, it's probably reconnectable as 120VAC.
Have you checked that out?

Allan at Pos E