inverter generator match [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu Feb 15 12:45:26 PST 2001

Dear Wrenches:

One of the other fundamental problems here is the power factor of the
inverter while charging.
A low power factor on the inverter/charger makes it very difficult for low
cost generators to deliver any energy to the charger.
This is one of the reasons UL 1741 requires a PF of > 0.85 (I think this is
the value).

If you are doing phase control with an SCR it is a cheap way to build a
charger but this typically creates a bad power factor.
If anyone has a Fluke 42 or equal (homepower guys?) take a reading on the
inverter/charger while charging.
This is an area that has not been given much attention but it will likely
become more significant as other inverter options become available.

In general, a charger with a higher power factor (1.0 is as good as you can
get) will have less problems with inexpensive generators.  A charger with
low power factor will need more duct tape and bailing wire to work with
inexpensive gen sets.
Adding resistive load (light bulbs) improves the total power factor and
helps the generator to make power at the time when the charger is asking for
it.

If you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

John Berdner

SMA-America, Inc.