inverter generator match [RE-wrenches]

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Wed Feb 14 16:39:51 PST 2001

Hi Windy,

I don't know the exact of what others have done, but I have been able to use as
little as 400 watts.  I haven't experimented with lots of different chargers and
I can't remember what kind of charger it was.

The problem seems to be the electronic regulation of the genset.  When you
measure it there is correct voltage, but no power, hence the inverter is
confused.

I hope that helps!

Jay

"Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar" wrote:

> >Hi Lee,
> >
> >I have seen problems with Honda's and DR units.  The "fix" is to put a hard
> >load on the generator, such as a  heater or auto battery charger, lights
> >whatever.  What seems to happen is the generator is looking for a load, the
> >inverter is looking for the power and they just don't seem to meet. But when
> >you put the genny on a hard load, now its generating power, the inverter
> >sees it and they work much better.
> >
> >jay
> >
> >Peltz Power
>
> Jay,
>
> How many watts of "hard" load is necessary?
>
> I know from experience that it's perfectly cool to plug in a battery
> charger and connect it to the batteries, thus running it parallel to
> the charging function of the inverter (delivering together, the sum
> of the currents). How big a battery charger do you suppose is needed
> to work in the above scheme? Transformer type vs. high frequency
> switching type charger?
>
> Windy
>
> - - - - - - -
> To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
> The archive of previous messages:
>  http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
> To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>  www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
> Hosted by Home Power magazine:
>  www.homepower.com
>
> For info contact list moderator by email:
>  michael.welch at homepower.com

> T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
> Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Topics You Choose.
> http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

 michael.welch at homepower.com