ProSine idle draw (was Split it) [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at positivenergy.com
Fri Jan 26 15:11:09 PST 2001

We were given a PS inverter for testing a year ago or so.  The no-load draw
was 50 watts if left idling, the sleep sensitivity was harder to adjust and
less functional than even the SW series 16 watt increments (only adjustable
by dip switches behind a small panel)  and the unit took up to three seconds
to wake up from idle.

HomePower did a thumbs-up review on it, which elicited a flurry of email
discussion between us and them (Hi Ian!).  In my home, my whole array
couldn't keep up with that idle, and I can enter a room and leave before the
inverter wakes up the light.  Their contention was that they used a
dedicated switching inverter for the lights (Exeltech) and used the SW and
PS inverters for running office equipment and motor loads, therefore at
night it was off and not drawing power.  Also, the charger is supposed to be
more efficient than the SW.

But a couple of months ago we got a call from a homeowner North of here.
Every so often the inverter in his guest house would shut off mysteriously.
Turns out that if they forgot to unplug all the ghost loads when they left
it would leave the inverter on, which drained the system to LVD.  Inverter
would shut off, system would charge back to full in a week or so, and they
would come back to a "full" battery and disconnected inverter.