help in Illinois [RE-wrenches]

mmangelsdorf at hei.com mmangelsdorf at hei.com
Wed Jan 24 11:10:51 PST 2001

Steve, Backwoods Solar:

The SW can be programmed to limit the amount of grid power used to charge a
battery bank.  It's a  fairly easy thing to do and the inverter can be kept
in the SELL mode all the time.

1) Menu heading 10--Set Max Charge Amps AC to the lowest setting which is 1
amp.  So, whenever the inverter goes into the battery charging mode, the max
amps used from the grid is always 1.

2) Menu heading 18--Grid Usage Timer allows the user to control when and for
how long the grid will be used to charge the batteries.  You can either
defeat the battery charging capability entirely by setting the "start charge
time" the same as "end charge time" which means that the grid will never be
used to charge the batteries.  Or, if you want the grid to supply at least
some amps to keep the batteries from discharging too deeply, set the time
for X number of hours per night.  In my grid-tie systems with battery
back-up I've usually set the grid usage timer to charge the batteries at the
1 or 2 amp rate for 6-8 hours at night just to make sure that the batteries
will be a full state of charge nearly all of the time.

I hope that this is helpful.  All of this info can be found in the
wonderful, sleep inducing 89-page SW Owner's Manual.  Working on a remote
job in southern India several years ago, the manual was one of the few
things I had to read for weeks so I read it from front to back then back to
front.

best of luck,
marco
ProVision Technologies, Inc.
Hilo, Hawaii

I have an inquiry from Illinois on a topic I am not the best source for.
Burl Anderson at (309)342-5660 has SW series set up for interactive sell. He
has surplus by 9 AM and wants to sell all day, but at night he finds it
charges from the grid even though he has enough batteries to go all night
and still sell power before noon the next day. He wants to prevent it from
grid charging at night, just draw down batteries through the night, and has
enough PV and battery to still return to sell mode about 8 or 9 in the
morning. He says he switches manually between sell and FLT modes twice a day
presently.  I suggested a timer to connect the grid only daytime, or using
the voltage controlled relays... but we are weak on the details of sell, not
our specialty.  Anyone in Amherst or Illinois area have the answer and want
to contact a potential customer who is planning to keep adding PV?   If so,
go for it.

Steve Willey   steve at backwoodssolar.com   www.backwoodssolar.com
Backwoods Solar Electric Systems
A catalog business on a mountain
2 miles from utility lines,
powered entirely by our catalog products.
IF UTILITY POWER IS 1/2 MILE OR MORE FROM YOUR SITE,
get our free 160 page solar-electric Planning Guide/Catalog.
(Your postal address required - Our list is never given or sold).
Phone(208)263-4290  Fax (208) 265-4788  in Idaho, USA