DR charging oddities [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson, SunWise sunwise at win.bright.net
Mon Jan 22 20:06:04 PST 2001

Phil Undercuffler wrote:

> Actually, when the unit acted up, the charge rate was set to approx. 3/4.

Hey Phil,

I was running late and in a hurry when I responded before.  I have seen
two systems where I got really bogus frequency readings and did notice
this strange louder than usual buzz from the Inverter.  I ended up
calling Trace on the one system (under-powered by PV's and 3,200 watt
Honda) and told them about the strange sound and Hz and their tech
appeared to have heard this one before.  He instructed me to turn down
the charge down to about the one o'clock position.  This was a couple
years ago, but it seems like he said that once you ramp the charge rate
to a certain level (bout 1:00), it goes into a high charge mode where-in
it is essentially charging straight off the FET's (and not the
Transformer??).  I gotta say that this was a couple years ago and I am
just recalling a conversation.  It seems like he said that this charge
mode really only works well with DR's that have the grid available for
the advanced charge mode.

I noted that Frank was getting 130 amps out of his DR2412, and Roy
somewhere around 65, from his DR3624.  Looks like they are putting out
about the same watts.  Also, on Roys winter/summer temp/amp difference.
Could winter's lower battery voltage (or battery temps) be resulting in
that lower voltage/higher amperage output of the typical generator?

Just thoughts -- Kurt Nelson

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: