290T China Diesel/Inverter [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee, Solutions from the Land ghigbee at efn.org
Sun Jan 14 23:22:57 PST 2001

Wrenches,

I could have sent this only to those of you who provided input on my
specific question, but there's a general message here, too, and some new
questions. And besides, I like hearing how you resolve questions you ask,
based on the input you've received. Kinda closes the loop a bit.

Thanks so much for your helpful input on the older China Diesel SW
interface. I want to be successful in this install because that means my
client is successful--and customer service is what it's all about for me
(well, making a living is nice, too). This wrenches group has been a
wonderful resource in helping me deliver the best, resulting in happy,
pro-renewable clients. I think that's what we all want--a growing pool of
folks who are happy with their RE systems and tell their neighbors, friends,
and relatives.

I had an uncomfortable feeling about showing up at this remote site in
Hawaii and attempting to do a custom generator interface to the SW. The unit
does have a lot of hours on it, I'm not a generator guru, and my client
wants a reliable and reasonably hands-off system. The nearest hardware store
is a loooong day round-trip, and specialty parts can take a long time.
Almost sounds like a setup for a not-so-fun time in a very fun place (I've
been there once).

Given my concerns and your valuable input we've pretty much decided to sell
her two old generators and get one new one with full remote-start
capabilities. I've done a Kohler propane, which worked out very well. It
seems that my client wants to stick with diesel (she's got a big tank
already), though, so I don't know what we'll end up with. I'm open to
suggestions.

If you were to suggest a new diesel generator in the 8-10KW range what would
you consider? And, assuming only 120VAC loads would you get something that
could be wired for 120 full-output (a rewire I did for the Kohler) or would
you stick with 240 and use a T-240 to balance the load? The primary use is
generator assist for a 1200-watt PV array. Run time will likely be 6-7 hours
every 4 days.

Again, thanks so much. And if anyone else has input on the specific question
I posed earlier or those above I'd still love to hear it. We won't be
committing to a new generator for a week or so.

Take care,

Gary

     Gary Higbee  (ghigbee at efn.org)
             (541)607-1818