Wind Turbine/Sunny Boy [RE-wrenches]

mrousso at urbanrefuge.com mrousso at urbanrefuge.com
Thu Nov 22 21:50:35 PST 2001

Fellow Wrenches,

I have a customer who is interested in adding a wind
generator to his RE system.  One option is to add it
to his exisitng SMA SWR2500 since he has available
capacity.

We have installed a number of Sunny Boys and really
like them for grid-tie apps.  So, first thing that
strikes me is that the wind machine needs to provide a
minimum of 250VDC to work with the Sunny Boy.  Another
option would be to get a wind unit that outputs AC.  I
would need something in the 1 - 2 KW range.

To add another wrinkle, he is considering adding
batteries, so I could steer him to a 24-48VDC solution
with an additional inverter appropriate for that task.
 The easiest option would be to add a Sunny Island to
triage the whole thing, but those are still 6 months
out.  (John, where are they???!!!)

So, I guess where that leaves me is recommending an AC
unit if he decides not to add batteries.  On the other
hand, if he wants batteries, install a charge
controller with the turbine and another inverter to
handle the wind turbine and battery output.

Any other thoughts/inverter recommendations?  The
whole thing with Xantrex has put me off at this time.

=====
Thanks!
Mo

Mo Rousso