Trace/Zantrex losing the lead! [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Tue Oct 2 17:15:54 PDT 2001

Just thought I would report on how pleased I have been with the Vanner
RE4500's I have up and running.
If I was Zantrex I would be  taking notes.

1. It is soooo!! quiet. Real nice even under heavy load. Sometimes I
think they shut down until I take a look at the indicator lights

2. It has an incredibly clean wave form on the scope even with heavy
reactive loads. As close to sine as I ever need.

3. Trace could take lessons on how to make an install easy. 1/4 turn
Dzus fasteners take the AC and DC covers off and everything is right
there in front of your face. Very easy to wire. No need for conduit
boxes.Also if service is needed 6 screws get you into the entire guts
and most any part could be easily removed and replaced not to mention
troubleshooting on the component level.

4. No volatile program memory. Power down with no reprogram.

5. SW4024 and RE4500 side by side on equal loads drawing from same power
center. Vanner starts my 2 HP metal lathe without a wimper with all shop
lights on.Trace just barely if I shut down most lights. Well pump causes
less light dimming on the Vanner.

6. Efficiency when not in search. Vanner appears to be just 7 watts
higher standby loss.

7.OUTBACK supplying a nice load center to mate up.
Vanner AC and DC centers just too spendy.

8.Real nice serial interface with software on CD for programming and
diagnostics.

I have acquired a power factor corrected power analyzer and I will be
reporting back shortly on how well the Vanner handles a 3.6kw array
feeding through RV Boost controllers and then sent to grid. I'll give
actual throughput efficiency.

If reliability equals the Sw I am sold. Especially since it is a true
split phase so 120/240 is a snap with just one inverter.
Competition is good and really needed.
Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com