Mobile system grounding, safety (long) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Sep 12 22:47:07 PDT 2001

Greetings to all - I have just joined the wrenches list as the
manufacturer representative for OutBack Power Systems.  I have meet many
of you in person while I worked at Ananda Power and Trace Engineering
during the last 10+ years.

As far the mobile PV system goes, the Trace SW4048 is not specifically
designed to be a mobile inverter - most of the mobile inverters include
another relay internally which connects the AC neutral wire on the AC
output to the grounding system while the system is operating as a
standalone inverter.  Once AC is applied via a shore cord or back-up
generator,  the relay opens and the AC output neutral is connected to
the AC source's AC neutral which should already have a connection to the
grounding system at the main panel.

Since the SW does not incorporate this additional relay,  you either
need to add it or provide an alternate way to make the connection of the
AC output neutral to the grounding system when the inverter is running,
but that disconnects this connection BEFORE the shore cord is plugged in
(or else a GFCI will trip on the AC source).

This can be done manuallt with a switch or automatically with a  relay,
but one of my simplist tricks on systems which only use a shore cord and
do not use the SW's two AC inputs (utility grid and a back-up generator)
is to simply plug in the AC input cord to a dummy outlet built into the
storage area of the cord.  The dummy outlet is not connected to anything
except it has the ground and neutral teminals of the dummy outlet
connected to the grounding system of the trailer.  This ensures that the
connection to ground is disconnected when the cord is plugged in.

I wouldn't worry about the ground rod as long as all of the AC outlets
have a GFCI and the ground terminals are connected to the trailer's
grounding system.  This is what is done on tens of thousands of RVs
safely.  Make sure you simply bond all of the components together and to
the frame of the battery.  I wouldn't add another breaker in the battery
negative cable - just make sure the battery box is lined with a
non-metallic lining (foam insulation) and that the batteries are
strapped down well.  You could provide an additional fuse as close as
possible to the positive battery terminal - the NEC requires overcurrent
protection with in 18" of the battery for recreational vehicles.  I have
put Class-T fuses in heavy heatshrink tubing with wire ties on the ends
to reduce the chance of sparks causing a problem.

I hope this answers a few of your questions and gets our minds
momentarily off the terrible news surrounding us.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA