MPPT [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Tue Sep 11 14:42:34 PDT 2001

I think Kent Sheldon is on to something. MPPT in a PV application simply
supplies a better impedance match between battery and panels by storing
the higher voltage pulse in an inductor and capacitor when in open
circuit.  In a generator,especially a permanent magnet I don't think
there is a mismatch since voltage is a function of RPM and the generator
will just keep producing more and more current regardless of battery
voltage.The Bergey XL1 I have been observing for several months now
seems to use a crude form of MPPT to allow better low wind startup but
only on startup. It doesn't have the weird pulsing 0n/Off current during
low wind start up that my Bergey 1500 has. Also if an MPPT runs at some
frequency what would it do to the turbine in terms of dynamics and
harmonics that can cause fatigue failure.
Larry Elliott

Also lets remember those who were  not so lucky in New York and DC on
this "wake up call" to America

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm