ST problems [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Aug 22 21:52:23 PDT 2001

Friends:

I will continue to report on progress with all RE equipment I am exposed to
as that is one of the prime functions of a group such as this.  Below is an
e-mail message indicative of my experience working with ST inverters.  I'm
sure you are all aware what a drag it is to continue to travel to a
client's location after the job is done for repeated equipment problems.
The engineers at Trace are great folks and dedicated, but in spite of their
efforts, the problems continue.

Here is the score card:  Of the 8 ST inverters installed so far:

2 are working consistently, albeit with a lower efficiency than I might
have expected.
1 has been replaced with a Sunny Boy at the clients insistence
1 is showing reduced output after replacing the firmware
1 produces a reduced power output before the required time out
1 was purchased by the customer over the internet and is now his problem,
but it was shutting down consistently.
2 have "died" as per the message below after other problems (displays
blanking, shutting down)

I have enjoyed working with the SW equipment in spite of shortcomings.  I
hope Trace improves reliability with the ST line.  I am willing to assist
where I can, but the process is costing me time, money, and customer
confidence.

I have heard little from others on the ST performance, good or bad.  I
would speculate that: not many are using them and/or others are not
comfortable publishing their negative experiences for fear of straining
relations with Trace.  I guess the latter may be an advantage to an
installer not being a dealer.  I can't say I enjoy being the only one
complaining about a product, but I feel compelled to assist my colleagues
by providing accurate reports from the field.

Stay tuned.

---Text of client message:

Hi William,

Sorry to say that both inverters "died" this afternoon.... R. called
(supplier) earlier after we got your phone message since the right one
was cycling way down again, and he asked that both of them be replaced since
the	 left one had started making a louder buzzing noise also. When I went to
check on them later today, both were making a repeating zap sound and the
displays were blinking on and off in unison with the sound. As soon as
they're reinstalled, I'll test as you asked.

G.

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com