Rough Starts [RE-wrenches]

Dana Orzel slrwrk at ocinet.net
Sat Jun 30 13:39:14 PDT 2001

Ok All,
I haveinvested enough time listening to Trace on this one and am stumped.

I have a client with a Trace SW4024 and the oven section on the
stove/broiler will not start unless the battery voltage is above 27.0 VDC
+/- . The oven start circuit is around 80 Watts. There is a capacitor start
on the stove top and this works fine on the Trace. The oven has a spark that
starts a pilot nad is not happy till the batt, volts are high [27+ VDC] or
the 450 watt Line Tamer is in line.

I tried my 450 watt Line Tamer 120/120 VAC transformer , this made it work
but the continous 450 watt load was/is not acceptable.I used a spring wond
timer with a 120VAXC 8 pin relay to allow the circuit to normally be on the
Trace power and activated to the 120/120 transformer on demand.

Trace suggested using a GE Capacitor - 97F9622 - 50uf - 50/60hz - 370VAC in
series on the hot 120VAC line to the oven.
This did not do the trick.

Trace suggested triing Two of these capacitors in line to the oven.
This worked, but used a continous load of 160 watts. I felt that this was a
little high as a periferal ghost load, esp. considering that this is a "sine
wave" inverter - kind of hard to explain to the client who thinks that sine
wave means sine wave.

Trace then suggested a 120/120 trans former 85 watt capacity.
This did not work either. The load was measured with a Brand meter and did
not show a surge at start.

What am I missing here? [ besides the obivous fact that the Trace SW4024 is
not a real sine wave ]
I have run into this same problem with folks who insisted on triing to run a
hot air heating system [totally stupid and inefficient idea] on a Trace SW.
The Rogers-White controller for the hot air  heating system would not
recognize  the SW as real sine wave electricity.
IDEAS?

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm