Service Call or ? [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon May 21 13:48:47 PDT 2001

I'd like to get some of your opinions about a situation I encounter every so
often.  I'm sure others do as well.

Warning .... Rant warning detection system activated ... Warning

I just got off the phone with a guy who is just over 3 hrs from me.  He has
a system but seems unsure of how to use it.  He was referred to me by one of
my suppliers.  The owner of the system seems confident that it's installed
correctly but the person who installed in 1999 didn't know anything about
solar thus the installer was unable to explain to the owner how to use it.
>From the brief phone conversation I had it seems that the owner has grid
power and only uses it for backup power.

I do have several customers near (~50 miles) him and I do work all over the
Ozarks so I am pretty used to working up to 200 miles away from my shop and
frequently drive through the area he is in.  I explained to him that it
would take 3 or 4 hours to look it over and spend some time with him
answering questions.  Including the driving it would involve an entire day
so I would need $350 to come look at his system.  Actually it would involve
closer to 12 hours so the $350 wouldn't even cover my shop rate.  I've tried
this deal where I stop by when I'm in the area to look over a system I
didn't install, but it has never worked.  I get hung up on the a job that
has me in the area already then it's almost dark by the time I get by to
this system.  Also, I have always found disasters when I get there.  No over
current protection on under sized battery cables that aren't in conduit and
that sort of thing tends to be the norm.  It's just better if I dedicate the
day to this job then I don't get hurried on the customer who is paying me
for a complete system.

Also, I don't want to make the supplier think I'm ungrateful.  I guess what
amazes me is the owners of these systems have well over 10k invested and
they admit that it wasn't installed by a pro yet they won't pay a pro to
come look at it.  What upsets me is this guy has a system that he must be
somewhat unhappy with so solar gets a black eye in my service territory.

Others thoughts?

Rant -OFF

Good Day
Travis Creswell