Defective ST2500 [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Apr 23 09:31:06 PDT 2001

Allen:

I have a Tracer inverter that does not appear to be working properly.  It
is a ST2500, serial number 0111013025.

I installed this inverter last week.   It is connected to 24 Siemens SR100
panels wired in groups of 4 in series.  When I first turned this inverter
on, it appeared to work normally.  After about 2 hours, while standing next
to it with the building inspector, it made a zapping sound and the power
output went to 0 and array voltage went to full open circuit voltage with
these top line readings:  240 V / 60.0 / 78 V OC.

After about 20 seconds the inverter began producing power again.  This
happened several times.

A few days later the client tried to test the inverter and reported no
success.  I came the next day and found the 15A 2 pole breaker in the main
residence feeding the ST was in the tripped position.  I reset the breaker
and I swear I heard a zapping sound from the top of the customers drop on
the pole in his backyard.  This happened twice.  I could have imagined the
sound (since I can't imagine how the ST would cause this).

The inverter did not run for about 10 minutes.  It showed good panel
voltage and good line voltage and frequency.  After 10 minutes, the
inverter started running.  It ran for 5- 10 minutes and then shut down (no
zapping this time).  It stayed shut down for 5 minutes.  It then produced
power for 5-10 minutes and shut down for another 5 minutes.

The customer spent good money for a system that does not work.  He is
paying me to contact you.  Allen, what do I do?

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

Archive of previous messages: