Trace 4000 SW vs. 1HP 220v well pump [RE-wrenches]

Scott Suddreth, Rock Castle Solar grateful at boone.net
Sat Apr 14 21:45:49 PDT 2001

Wrenches,
     I'm working on a solar water/pv job that is on an island off the coast of Georgia. Three years ago, I helped install the system to pump water out of a well and through the solar water panel to provide hot water for showers. The well turned brackish so a new one has been put in that is much deeper. Because the system is on the island I am only working off the info that my client (Park Ranger) can provide between visits. He tells me that the new pump is 220 volts and 1 hp. 350 feet deep (He is trying to get me the exact specs) We have a Trace 4000 SW with 4 85 watt pv panels already there. I was going to purchase the Trace 120-240 transformer and wire it in with a transfer switch to a generator backup on the new well.

1) Can the Trace 4000SW start a pump of this size ok?  Mathematically it seems to make sense but i'm not familiar with common 220 well pump surges at startup. Only asking because we have been fooled in the past.

2) Does anybody have any preference between HydroCaps and Water Misers? Gator Tom introduced me to the Water Miser in Atlanta and I'm leaning towards them. The seem to be less troublesome maitenance-wise. The park rangers on the island are not the best at keeping the water levels topped off.

 Any comments would be appreciated.

Scott Suddreth
Southface Energy Insitute
Boone, North Carolina