Air Quality. [RE-wrenches]

Lynne A Carter solarvil at netpath.net
Fri Apr 13 16:03:39 PDT 2001

Hi I did not get an ok on sending an (Jpeg) attachment if you want to see
the pollen and Grey sky send me personal email I will send copy for those
interested.
Bill,
You made a good list I agree theses things can effect the power production
of the PV array and/or the whole system.  We have a customer that is willing
to test the Uni-solar Laminates. The pollen count is high the past few days
everything here is that yellowey-green dust from the loblollies. So yes I do
have dirty PVs to day.  NO rain so far but the temperature is going down a
little. I have attached some Jpeg photos as examples
Your list in relation to our systems here in the east.
Shading. Not much of an issue for us good solar access on systems. The air
is the question. Dirt. Maybe so, dirt in the air could stick to the array
looks as if that is
what is happing today.  Wire Losses. not more than 2% - 5% Module Mismatch.
not here Inverter Losses (much higher than most people predict).. I can deal
with that.  Battery Losses. I can deal with that.
Charge controller losses.  Have you check out the RV power products
recently?
NC recent reports have us in the orange zone and the red zone for most of
the summer. We are 6th in the nation for smog depending the report
www.epa.gov.
You said >Our diffuse (scattered) radiation can be 30% of the energy we get
from the sun. This also makes tracking systems a little less effective. <
I disagree on the tracker issue. However, I am off-grid and when the array
follows the sun every day, I have made more power. I simply get a more power
form tracking arrays with a smaller footprint.  Besides, they are sexy as
hell.  In the morning, I am making power sooner.  During cloudy days, it is
great to be at a maximum power (optimal tilt) when the sun appears for an
hour of the day.  Maybe it just feels good. What do you mean by effective?

So could do an example of this? Take the STC rating and multiply by 0.7 and
that is a fair number for system with a STC > 1
max AC power (spring and fall). Take STC rating (in kW) x 0.6 x solar
resource (5.0 kWh/m2/day--Raleigh, NC) x 365 days/year = Annual Energy
I am not getting numbers I like.

Lyn
PS I did find out that Most air quality databases are about two years
behind.

Lyn at solarvillage.com
Solar Village Institute inc.
PO Box 14