Trace TM500 [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Apr 9 11:54:19 PDT 2001

Friends:

I am faced with installing several Trace TM500 monitors since we can't
currently purchase Pulse PSM-3s.  The Trace TM500 comes with a nifty
interface circuit board attached directly to the shunt.  This circuit board
has an RJ-11 jack mounted on it and the unit comes with a modular phone
cord to allow you to interconnect the shunt with the meter easily.

This unit is not so nifty when you come to the oft encountered real-life
situation where you need to connect the meter at a distance greater than
that provided for with any of the factory cables and the cable need to be
pulled through conduit.

The specifications on the TM500 do not show how far the meter can be
located from the shunt and batteries, even after we figure out how to
interface with the modular connectors.  I am about ready to call Trace, but
I often find I get better answers here.  Has anyone on this list researched
how far one can locate a TM 500 from the shunt and batteries?

Also pertinent to this discussion:  Does anyone else find it a bit lame
that the monitor cable and remote cables can be easily switched on the
meter?  Does anyone else find they often need two or more shunts?  I'd like
to suggest to Trace that they consider rectifying these problems.
Otherwise, the meter looks "cute."  I wonder if it has the same problems
"syncing" with batteries to show accurate state of charge?

Thanks again for your camaraderie in this delightful and challenging trade.

William Miller

PS:  Allen Lowe at Trace was immediately available and is researching this
answer.  My hat is off to Allen, he seems to be very conscientious.

WM

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

Archive of previous messages: