PV  Inverters module strings [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at tracetec.com
Fri Mar 30 13:24:14 PST 2001

Joel, Honestly this is something that I have not been requested to do
before. We have many hundreds of PV inverters installed throughout the
world, and have always relied on the system integrator to decide which
PV panel and the array configuration would best suit their needs. When
considering a 600Voc array, there are many considerations that one must
take that beyond my ability to make a general recomendation statement.
Take for instance the need to severly derate the open circuit voltage
due to extreme low temperature, high altitude, or locations which
typically exhibit irradiances much greater than 1000W/m2. Similarly,
one may need to add extra panels for high ambient temperatures, poor
array placement, consistently low irradiance, etc. I could put together
a table of recommended arrays for standard conditions, which I feel
would be about as useless as the peak power point voltage as stated by
the PV manufacturer. The manufactuers PPPVdc does provide a starting
point when considering all the previously mentioned performance
effects. A list of recommendations from me would also just be a
starting point, which could not be used unless all of the other affects
are considered. And it would open me up to liablity, if someone took
the recommendation as law, and did no further analysis. This issue may
be different when considering a low voltage array (24-48Vdc) where only
one, two or three panels may be required to keep within a relatively
small DC input window.

If it is the general opinion that a list would be useful, please let me
know. Again, we recommend any PV panel which will provide a 330-600Vdc
peak power point voltage.

Regards