Manus on list finalized? [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Fri Mar 2 11:00:38 PST 2001

I am proposing a plan that I hope we can all live with. I have tried to reach a consensus, but that is not going to happen. Unless you have very serious overriding concerns, I hope you will stand aside and let this move forward.

There are 2 general schools of thought, and some more subtle concerns: those that think there is no place for manus on the list that are not actual wrenches, and those that think there is.
For: 22
Against: 13
Silent: 81

Many of the folks that originally thought manus should be on have modified their position to include that they must be technically qualified. That would leave out Pagan MacKay from Xantrex (whose request brought the issue up), but could allow folks that are technically savvy about their particular product even though they do not have actual wrench experience and know how.

Most of us think it would be good for the list to have folks that understand the technical side of their particular product. People like Siemen's Arthur Rudin who has been offered to us would then qualify.

Therefore, I propose accepting Jeffrey's proposal as below, with the addition that each manu be allowed only one rep. I received quite a few comments about that position. Please note that I cleaned up and clarified the proposal a little. If anyone sees any problems with it, please let me know by private email.

Here is how the responses I got finally lined out.

No way, unless they qualify by having wrench-level know-how
Chris Daum
Frank Fowler
Paul Wilkins
Bill Roush
Jerry Caldwell (1 only per manu)
John Berdner (1 only per manu -- he is a manu rep)
Roy Butler (1 per manu)
Carl Reuter
Michael Welch (1 per manu)

Leave them off completely and let them know what we want them to know.
William Miller
Carl Emerson
Travis Creswell

Leave 'em off but cc the manu when we have something to say to them
Tump May (also expressed interest in "On until screwup")

Let 'em on til they screw up
Sparky
Bob Maynard
Tom Elliot
Jay Peltz
Allan Sindelar

Likes Jeffrey Wolfe's list of requirements (see below*)
Jeffrey Wolfe
Richard Perez
Doug Pratt
Holt Kelly
David Palumbo
Bob-O Schultze
Steve Bell
Joe Schwartz
Jerry Caldwell
Jack West
John Blittersdorf
Carol Weis
Don Loweburg

Allow access to one but must be company's tech support
Todd Cory
Ian Woofenden
Larry Brown

How many doesn't matter, just that they stay on topic.
Steve Willey

Allow access to one only per manu
Kirk Herander

* Jeffrey's list (modified to fit purposes by Michael)
1.  Keep the discussion technical.
2.  No press releases or other public relations.
3.  One technically proficient representative from each major manufacturer may participate.
4.  The manufacturers must understand that although Home Power is gracious and generous enough to sponsor this list that they have also allowed the list membership to control the list direction. Thus, if the list's Wrench members find that a manufacturer is not abiding with the above, they would be dropped. This would not be a reflection on Home Power Magazine, only a reflection on us individual wrenches.
5.  The Wrenches on the list would continue control of list direction, not the manufacturers.
6.  This policy could be changed later.
7.  We (via the list manager) still determine who gets on the list. No one has a "right" to be on the list.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: